Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy - FAQ
Through the use of hypnosis and hypnotherapy, Dr. Katherine Agranovich helps clients find relief from physical dysfunctions, stress, unwanted habits and ultimately to achieve improved overall health and wellbeing. The art of hypnosis, as practiced at Achieve Health Center, has helped countless clients in Orange County. We believe we can help you as well.
Learn more about hypnosis at Achieve Health Center in Newport Beach, California.
- What is Hypnosis?
Hypnosis is a state of profound relaxation and heightened suggestibility. It is simply a relaxed and concentrated state of mind, which expands a person's awareness to receive positive instructions for improvement in every area of life. The conscious mind by consent enters a state of abeyance and allows the subconscious mind to receive direct outside stimuli without the resistance of mental processes. Because hypnosis is a natural state of mind it is in the realm of everyone's capability. All of us pass through hypnotic stages when we go to sleep at night and when we wake up in the morning. We are in hypnosis when we "daydream" and when we "stare".
Physiologically, hypnosis stimulates the limbic system, the region of the brain linked to emotion and involuntary responses, like adrenal spurts and blood pressure.
The physiological shift can actually be observed during a hypnotic state, as can greater control of the autonomic nervous system functions that are normally beyond one's ability to control; stress and blood pressure reduction are common occurrences.
Research demonstrates that body chemistry changes, such as cortisol levels and metabolic properties occur during a hypnotic trance.
- Does the hypnotist have "control" over the subject's mind?
An emphatic "NO". No one can be hypnotized unless they want to be. It should be pointed out that the subject is fully aware of what is happening in the surrounding environment at all times. Should something be asked of him that is against his will or moral principles he would either reject the suggestion or come out of hypnosis. The subject accepts only those suggestions that he wishes to accept; all others are rejected.
- Has anyone ever been harmed by the use of hypnosis?
Hypnosis as we know it today has been around for 200 years. There has never been a documented case of harm yet, due to the use of hypnosis. The reason is the answer above.
- Does one need more than an average intelligence to be hypnotized?
Basically "NO"! Alpha or the hypnotic level is a natural aspect of the mind. Clients that accept this natural state of mind best are those with the ability to concentrate and those with strong imaginations. The stronger the imagination is, the more effective is the hypnosis. Cooperation also plays a big role in the induction of hypnosis.
- Does hypnosis render the person unconscious?
NO! The client is never really in an unconscious state. He is merely in a very pleasant state of relaxation. He is at all times fully aware of what is happening around him.
- Does hypnotherapy deal only with the symptom of a problem?
Hypnotherapy should cover both the symptoms and the underlying course of the problem. It's been said, "Realizing your problem is only half of the battle". Once the hypnotherapist can help the client to realize his major problem, he can then give hypnotic programming to eliminate this problem or change unwanted habits or behaviors.
- Does the hypnotist actually hypnotize the subject?
NO! All hypnosis is self-induced. The hypnotist makes suggestions to the subject and by following these suggestions, the subject hypnotizes himself.
- What can hypnosis help you ACHIEVE?
- Reduce stress by relaxing mind and body
- Increase self-confidence
- Change negative attitudes
- Increase motivation and self-esteem
- A state of profound relaxation and heightened suggestibility
- Improve concentration, memory and study habits
- Eliminate frustrations, anxiety and tensions
- Improve sales and self-image
- Combat worries, fatigue, and insomnia
- Improve business, social and marital life
- Sharpen mental attitude and enhance working performance
- Eliminate unwanted habits
- Enhance public speaking abilities
- Eliminate procrastination
- Overcome fears
- Solve weight conditions
- Stop smoking (Download details, pdf)
- Sports improvement
- Help with sexual dysfunctions
- Improve overall health and well being
- Do any of your holistic health practitioners take insurance?
We are not contracted with any insurance companies; however, we will provide you with an insurance claim form which you can submit to your insurance company for reimbursement of your visit fees. Please call your insurance company to find out what your insurance benefits are.
To find out more or to begin your process of healing:
Book a Session - call (949) 702-3228